• Are the community pools open?
    Effective Monday, October 5, 2020, Boulder Mountain Parke Swim Center, Trailhead Members Club pool and Windsong Pool will be open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. For residents who choose to utilize the pools, please note the following guidelines approved by the Board of Directors:
    • Use amenities at your own risk.
    • All pool furniture is accessible to residents.
    • Residents are encouraged to wear masks and adhere to physical distancing measures.
    • The Board reserves the right to implement a reservation system, if deemed necessary, to maintain capacity and physical distancing.
  • What precautions should be followed when using the Pools?
    Residents are encouraged to wear masks and adhere to physical distancing measures. Please click here for the additional precautions that should be followed when utilizing the Pools.
  • How can I contact Management to address association related questions if the Trailhead Members Club is closed?
    The management staff is available during normal business hours by email, or you can call us at 480-357-8780. You will be able to find all of our email addresses on the Contact Us page of our website: Management Contact Information. Additionally, you may also contact the Patrol Team between the hours of 3 p.m. and 5 a.m. for any urgent, common area matters by calling 480-220-1794.
  • Are residents required to wear masks?
    Yes, the Association requires that residents wear masks when entering the Trailhead Members Club. 
  • Are the sport courts (tennis, pickleball, bocce ball and volleyball) open for resident use?
    Effective Monday, October 5, 2020, sport courts are open from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily. For residents who choose to utilize the courts, please note the following guidelines approved by the Board of Directors:
    • Online court reservations are required and should be used at your own risk.
    • Reservations are limited to residents of Las Sendas and limited to one 2-hour reservation per day.
    • Tennis ball machine rental reservations will resume. There is a $10 fee for a maximum of 2 hours. 
    • Residents are encouraged to wear masks and practice physical distancing measures.
  • Are the park outdoor equipment and restrooms open for resident use?
    Effective Monday, October 5, 2020, outdoor play equipment is open from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily. Restrooms are open from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily. The use of these facilities is at your own risk, and we highly suggest washing your hands and your children’s hands before and after use. Residents are encouraged to wear masks and practice physical distancing measures. Equipment will be cleaned quarterly. 
  • Are the ramadas and fields (baseball and soccer) open for resident use?
    Ramadas are accessible for resident use from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m, and fields are available for resident use from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. The Association requires reservations for fields and ramadas; however, our staff cannot provide set-up or other accommodations at this time. Residents are encouraged to wear masks and practice physical distancing measures. 
  • Is the splash pad open for resident use?
    Effective Monday, October 5, 2020, the splash pad is open from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily. Use of the splash pad is at your own risk, and we highly suggest washing your hands and your children’s hands before and after use. Residents are encouraged to wear masks and practice physical distancing measures. Equipment will be cleaned quarterly. 
  • What safety precautions are being taken for the Parks and Playgrounds?
    The following safety precautions are being taken for the parks and playgrounds:
    o    Maintenance and/or the Janitorial Team will clean and disinfect common touchpoints at the restroom facilities daily.
    o    Play equipment will continue to be disinfected quarterly. Play equipment will be used at the residents’ own risk.
    o    Touchpoints and commonly used areas at the Trailhead Members Club will be frequently sanitized for everyone’s protection.
    o    Physical distancing measures must be adhered to, but will not be monitored or enforced by onsite team members.
  • What is the COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
    The Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS) describes the Coronavirus Disease 2019, or COVID-19, as a new respiratory virus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, including coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1. Patients with COVID-19 will be evaluated and cared for differently than patients with common coronavirus diagnoses.
    For answers to more questions regarding COVID-19, please call the Arizona Department of Health Services Hotline: 1-844-542-8201
  • How can I help protect myself from COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses?
    The Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS) encourages all residents to practice the following preventative recommendations to protect themselves from COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses:
    • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
    • Stay home when you are sick.
    • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
    • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
  • How do I pay my Association Dues when the Trailhead Members Club is closed?
    You are still able to submit your quarterly Association Dues via mail or online payment.  Please CLICK HERE for more information on your payment options. 
  • How can I contact the Board of Directors?
    CCMC is the Managing Agent and serves as the liaison between the Board of Directors and the Las Sendas homeowners, and is available to assist with time-sensitive requests or matters. The CCMC Team is happy to address concerns or forward them to the Board of Directors upon request, and does so frequently.
  • What are the current hours for the Association Management Team?
    The Management Team is available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Email communication, resident engagement, assessment processing, and accounts payable will continue as planned. Additionally, all contracted services remain operational.
  • Will my assessment be discounted because of the temporary Trailhead Members Club and Recreational Facilities closures?
    At this time, the Las Sendas Community Association is not reducing or discounting assessments relating to the closing of community facilities. We are uncertain as to the duration of the closure and the costs that will be incurred by the association related to re-opening the amenities. To the extent these closures result in an overall savings and surplus cash to the association, during the next annual budgeting session, the Board will review funds on hand and projected expenses for the coming year and make adjustments to the budget as necessary. As we hope you understand, things are changing on a daily basis. To the extent the expectations regarding the duration of closure change, the Board may adjust their plans. If those plans are adjusted, Management will surely provide updates as appropriate. 
  • What safety Precautions is Las Sendas taking now that amenities are reopening?
    Common touchpoints will be cleaned before opening and after closing.
    Masks must be worn, and physical distancing must be adhered to. Masks will be worn by all employees based on their role and responsibilities and in adherence to government and safety regulations and guidance. Every CCMC employee will be provided a mask and required to wear that mask while working with a client or resident. 
    Occupancy limits will follow the Governor’s Executive Order and may be limited. 
    Our management team will ensure constant communication and proper PPE and sanitation procedures are followed and updated per the latest expert guidance.
  • What precautions should be followed when visiting the Spa and Fitness Center?
    A. Please click here for the additional precautions that should be followed when utilizing the Fitness Center.
        Please click here for the additional precautions that should be followed when utilizing the Spa Services
  • Can I submit my Architectural Modification Application?
    The Architectural Committees will still review most architectural applications, if they are received electronically. The exact frequency and schedule of the reviews is not set at this time. More complex submittals, such as those for new home construction or remodels that require full-sized plans, the review of a consulting architect or a model may not be reviewed until the Trailhead Members Club reopens and regular Association business meetings resume. As such, these more complicated submittals may not be accepted.
  • Where can my small group meet?
    You may reserve the Trailhead Members Club for a meeting of a group of up to 10 people by contacting Morgan at mcollins@thetrailhead.org. You may also meet in an association common area or community parks. At this time, the Association will accept reservations for the Trailhead, common area parks and ramadas; however, set-up or other accommodations cannot be provided. Masks must be worn, and physical distancing must be adhered to by everyone.  
  • Some residents continue to use the recreational amenities. What is the Association doing to prohibit use?
    Residents who chose to use any Association open spaces, parks, outdoor equipment, fields and sport courts do so at their own risk. Health experts are also urging people to practice physical distancing by maintaining a roughly 6-foot distance from other people. Furthermore, in order to maintain physical distance, minimize risk and conserve resources, our Management and Patrol teams have been directed not to confront residents to regulate usage, reservations or unsportsmanlike conduct. 
  • Will the Association schedule lifestyle events, programs, activities and private event rentals in the future? What about the events that are already on the calendar?
    The Association continues to provide event programming via online platforms for now, and in-person events will begin in the near future. You can find information about our current digital events on our community calendar and Facebook page. We send out a Lifestyle electronic newsletter every Thursday with more information. To subscribe to our email newsletters, click here
  • How do I stay informed and receive updates regarding these ever-changing circumstances?
    This Q&A page was created as a convenient and centralized place for updates and new information to be posted to keep our residents informed.  Residents can also sign up to receive our regular email blasts by visiting THIS LINK and filling in your contact and Las Sendas address information. Also, please add Las Sendas Community Association and emails ending in @thetrailhead.org to your safe sender list. If you aren't seeing our emails, please check your junk inbox. 

Gate Codes
  • We had a "universal code," but now it's not working. What happened?
    Our team regularly monitors the use of authorized codes and looks for trends that indicate they may have been "leaked." When a code is leaked or appears to be overused, it takes an Association team approximately four hours to reprogram a replacement code in all 62 gates and notify the authorized parties of the new code. In the case of a City code, for example, dozens of emergency workers would need to be informed. 
  • Is there a "universal code" for residents, babysitters, Realtors, pizza delivery, etc.?
    There is no approved "universal code" for Las Sendas residents to use. There are a small handful of codes that management provides to authorized parties such as association vendors, utility companies, the City of Mesa and the police. These codes must be confidential to protect all of Las Sendas residents.  
  • What gate code can I use?
    In addition to your gate transponder ("clicker"), there are two ways your family, guests and contractors can gain entry into your neighborhood:
    Each home should have its own four-digit gate code. Your family and regular guests can use this code.
    For less frequent visitors or contractors, please instruct them to find your name in the Directory to call you from the call box. When the call box calls your phone, press "9" on your phone to open the gate. **Only phone numbers with the local area codes of 480 and 602 can be programmed to the gate.**
    Sometimes residents will give out their code, and that code is shared with others or used by a vendor to visit multiple lots within the neighborhood. To reduce access by uninvited parties, we request that you use the call box feature when possible, and change your four-digit code every year or so.  
    If you would like to change your gate code or phone number, please call the Trailhead office at 480-357-8780, and we would be happy to assist you. 
    Safety and security are important to the Las Sendas Community Association. To that end, the Board recently authorized the expenditure of over $1,500,000 to replace vehicle gate components to reduce repairs and add additional features. This project will make the gates more reliable, secure, and more friendly for our members to use. 
    Thank you for helping keep Las Sendas safe and following the above guidelines.
    Tip: When ordering items for delivery, please be sure to add your four-digit code to the special instructions.

  • How do I see all tennis courts at once to make a reservation?
    Under "Homeowner Portal" click "Reservations (Courts, Ramadas, Fields)" then scroll down to "Select Amenity." When you choose an amenity you will select "Tennis Courts (View all courts at once)" from the drop-down menu. 
  • What is a pool access card? How do I get one?
    A pool access card is a credit-card sized card that works as a key to gain access into the Trailhead and Boulder Mountain Pools. To use the card, simply hold up the card to the reader that is on the side of the entrance gate to the pool.  
    You can purchase a card from the Trailhead Members Club office for $25. Only one card is issued per lot. 
  • What Is Dream Catcher?
    The Short Answer:
    Dream Catcher is a small single family home development planned for a parcel of land just outside of Las Sendas, on the east side of the community near Rock Canyon I. On behalf of the Developer, their Real Estate Consultant contacted Las Sendas requesting permission to access a City of Mesa sewer line that is located inside the boundaries of Las Sendas, and utilize two retention basins inside Las Sendas for excess run-off water. According to the Real Estate Consultant, both the sewer line and the retention basin are currently able to accommodate the new development, so no changes will be needed. The development will not become annexed into Las Sendas and the request does not include selling any land to or from Las Sendas. The Association does not have the authority to approve the plans for the development, only to grant permission to tie into the sewer line and continue using the retention basins.
    The Long Answer:
    In 2007, a developer group obtained final subdivision plat approval through the City of Mesa. Unfortunately, prior to beginning construction the Real Estate market crashed in 2008 and the project never recovered.  
    As part of the project approval there were two hurdles that required the assistance of Las Sendas:
    1.       The owners needed permission to tie into the sewer line currently south and west of Rock Canyon I, and
    The owners needed permission to utilize two of the retention basins in Las Sendas (just south of Rock Canyon I and West of Rock Canyon II) for some of their excess run-off.
    Las Sendas approved both in 2007 after reviewing the information with their engineers and attorneys.
    Fast forward 13 years and a group of owners wants to develop again.  It is a much smaller development than the original proposed subdivision (called Ghostrider back in 2007).  13 years ago there were plans to develop 32-34 lots, this group is now looking to develop 12-14 lots, about 1/3 the size.
    As part of the project, the land owners still need the approval of Las Sendas to tie into the existing sewer line and utilize the retention basins.
    The sewer line currently exists in a Tract that is dedicated for utility purposes, so no new easements need to be granted, just permission for the group to tie into it.  The City has already verified the lines are big enough to accommodate the tie-in and the land owners have already engineered the utility connection from the prior project.
    Additionally, the retention basins were already designed for the water run-off from the property. When Las Sendas was first developed the property surrounding was all county and did not have any retention requirements.  So the basins in question already receive all of the water run-off from the property.  
    The presentation of this new project and the proposed agreement will be reviewed by the Board at a subsequent meeting, when the Trailhead can accommodate such a meeting with more than 10 people. As with all meetings, the Association will properly notice the meeting and agenda to residents once it is scheduled. This meeting will be open to all residents.
  • Who do I contact if I have further questions about events?
    If you have questions about events, weddings or other facility rentals here in Las Sendas, please contact our Lifestyle Director, Morgan Collins. She can be reached via email at mcollins@thetrailhead.org or by phone here at the office at 480.357.8780.
  • Who are the statues of throughout the community?
    The Las Sendas community is proud to own and display this unique residential art collection.  We hope you enjoy discovering these figures and learning the stories of the people they represent.
    1995  Developers, Scott Walker and Buddy Johnson, purchased 16 bronze sculptures for their planned community  “Falcon Ridge” They placed the figures along hiking trails. Their choice of subject was based on their perception of the individual’s contribution to the 20th century.
    1995  Blandford Homes took over the project which, in addition to the land, included the statues and renamed the development “Las Sendas”.
    1995 – 2002  Many of the pieces were relocated from the trails to more visible sites.
    2007 Ten of the pieces remained on the property.
    2016 The Las Sendas Community Association put plans in place to have four of the pieces still on trails, moved to more public areas.
    2017  All of the pieces were cleaned, and polished for the first time in 22 years.  Missing identification plaques were replaced.
    2018  Relocations were completed, minor repairs were made, lighting was added to nine of pieces, and landscaping was improved at all of the statue sites.  In addition plans were put in place for ongoing annual maintenance of the entire collection.
  • Where can I go hiking?
    Las Sendas is central to various hiking and mountain biking trails here in Mesa. There are various trails within Las Sendas and many more right outside of the community. Please visit The Hawes Trail Alliance for more information on the Hawes Trail which borders Las Sendas and connects to our community trails in various spots. 
  • What schools are in the area?
    Las Sendas residents are in the Mesa Public School District which includes the following schools:
  • What do I do before painting my home?
    Prior to painting your home, you must submit an architectural review application. Please click here for more information. 
  • How much does a membership at the Golf Club cost?
    Residents of Las Sendas may contact the Las Sendas Golf Club for membership rates at 480-396-4000.
    The Las Sendas Golf Club is a separate entity and in no way associated with Las Sendas Community Association. 
  • How do I sign up for the Spa and Fitness Center?
    To sign up for the Las Sendas Spa & Fitness Center please visit their website or call the front desk at 480.832.6900.
  • How do I report a noise violation (Dog barking, wild parties, screaming, etc)?
    In response to noise complaints, we recommend a two-pronged approach. First, noise complaints can be reported to the City of Mesa Police by calling their non-emergency line at 480-644-2211. Also, residents can report the complaint to the Association. You may call Patrol at 480-220-1794 if the noise is occurring between the hours of 3 PM and 5 AM.  This allows Patrol to drive by and witness (hear) the activity and possibly contact the owners in real-time. For on-going noise complaints, you can formally report the violation by completing a Complaint Form to the Association.  Please note that both the Association and the City of Mesa may require complaints from two different residents in order to escalate enforcement action.  
  • Can I reserve The Trailhead for a wedding?
    Yes! The Trailhead is an amazing place to host a wedding. 
    The price will depend on the day of the event and whether or not you are a resident of Las Sendas.
    Residents of Las Sendas may see rates by clicking Member Rates. Those that are not residents of Las Sendas may see rates by clicking Public Rates.
  • How do I make a reservation?
    If you'd like to reserve a tennis, pickleball, or bocce court, ramada or field at a park, or a banquet room at The Trailhead please visit our reservations page. If you have further questions please email Morgan, our lifestyle director at mcollins@thetrailhead.org or call us at 480.357.8780. 
  • Can I post a political sign in my yard?
    If a sign is placed on Maricopa County property, it is permitted in compliance with their guidelines, per A.R.S. 16-1019. Political signs may be placed in the public right-of-way, as long as they are not hazardous to public safety. Signs cannot placed prior to 60 days before the election, and must be removed within 30 days after the election (15 days for right-of-ways).

    The Las Sendas Community Association will remove signs placed on LSCA property. In most cases, however, political signs in Las Sendas are legally placed in the public right-of-way or on private property. Council has the right to remove political signs on its own property, but may not remove signs on any other property (e.g. the county's).
    In the event of a complaint when a sign is on business/commercial property, the LSCA will contact the business owner. In the event that the sign was not approved by the property owner, the property owner may remove the sign. Except in unique situations, the LSCA will not remove the sign. Commercial properties may have political signs within 45 days of an election or 7 days after an election (unless the signs violate city or county ordinance). All other signage must comply with the LSCA’s Non-Residential Design Guidelines policy; in most cases, signage other than political signage requires LSCA approval. 
    The homeowners’ associations are governed by A.R.S. 33-1808, which provides that the associations must allow political signs on a member’s property, but no earlier than 71 days before the day of the election and signs must be removed within 3 days after an election.
    Per ARS 16-1019, it is a class 2 misdemeanor for any person to knowingly remove, alter, deface or cover any political sign of any candidate for public office or knowingly remove, alter or deface any political mailers, handouts, flyers or other printed materials of a candidate that are delivered by hand to a residence for the period commencing forty-five days before a primary election and ending seven days after the general election.
  • Can I submit a work order request?
    Yes! To submit a work order request, click here
  • What is Las Sendas doing to reduce the risk of a fire in the community?
    The Board of Directors prioritized Fire Risk Mitigation in 2020. In January the Board approved the expenditure of $51,000 to have fire risk mitigation work performed in the common area of several of our enclaves. The State of Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management (DFFM) was scheduled to begin the work in March. Unfortunately, the project was delayed due to COVID-19.  Due to continued COVID-19 concerns, the project is on hold and exact start date is unknown at this time. Assuming the crew will be able to work continually, the project is expected to take about eight to 10 weeks. 
    Below is the list of enclaves scheduled for 2020, and the order in which the work will be performed. 
    1. Stonecliff
    2. Whispering Ridge
    3. Echo Canyon
    4. Tapestry Mountain
    5. Granite Ridge
    6. Ironwood Pass
    7. Desert Vistas
    There are a couple of factors that may change the list and schedule. 
    First, the crew who perform the work will help with fire suppression efforts during the wildfire season, which begins in the spring. During the project, they may be pulled away to address a fire or other emergency. Once they complete the emergency work, they will return to Las Sendas to continue our project. Second, the Association’s contract with the DFFM will end once the agreed-upon dollar amount is reached. While they provided a conservative estimate on how much area they can cover for the amount of money budgeted for 2020, there is a chance that some areas will be denser than anticipated. If it takes longer to complete some areas than expected, the project may end before finishing the list below. Any of the seven enclaves below that are not finished in 2020 will be placed on the list for the next fire mitigation project (conceivably in 2021, subject to available budget and Board approval).  
    Several years ago, the City of Mesa Fire Marshall contacted the Association with a recommendation to address some of the overgrown vegetation in the natural common areas that border homes within the community. Recommendations for Mesa residents were also included. In response to the letter, the Board of Directors approved roughly $233K of fire fuel mitigation efforts in 24 enclaves between 2016 and 2018. It was the first time any significant removal of vegetation in these common areas was performed since the community was developed roughly 20 years ago. 

    In 2019, the newly appointed Landscape Committee consulted with the Captain of the Mesa Fire Department and the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management (DFFM) to better understand the recommended scope of work. During these conversations, the Committee learned that the DFFM has a partnership with the Arizona Department of Corrections and trained Fire Crews are available to perform fuel reduction work. In addition to performing this work in Arizona forests, these crews regularly perform work in homeowners associations around the valley similar to Las Sendas.  

    The scope of work is specific to reducing the amount of fuel (vegetation) to reduce the risk of fire spreading through common areas. An additional benefit will be the reduction of debris that may impede the natural flow of water in the washes.

    Tentatively, the Board plans to continue this project to complete the first phase of fire mitigation in 2021. Thereafter, the work may be done every few years, budget permitting.   

    It should be noted that while the Association is taking some preventative action, the proposed work will not guarantee fires will not start or spread within the community. The Association is not liable if a fire starts, spreads or causes damage to any private property. Homeowners are responsible for taking necessary action to protect their private property.
    If the DFFM isn’t available to start now, why don’t we use another contractor?
    The cost to have the DFFM perform the work is roughly one third the cost charged by landscape contractors; thus, the Association can save tens of thousands of dollars.  Also, because the DFFM crews perform fuel reduction throughout the state year-round, they are knowledgeable about how much vegetation needs to be removed to reduce the potential impact of a fire event without clearing all of our valuable deserts. 
    What will we see when they’re finished?
    As a general rule, the scope includes the following (This isn’t a science. It’s more of an art by trained professionals):
    • Clearing away vegetation within five feet of walls
    • Trimming trees so that branches do not hang lower than about six feet from the ground
    • Removing any “dead and down” material, meaning large broken branches, dead trees and shrubs, fallen trees or branches.
    • Breaking up large, dense areas of shrubs by removing some shrubs. 
    • Trimming any very large shrubs 

    They will do their best to trim plants attractively, but they are not landscapers and it probably will not look manicured when they are done.  Vegetation will be chipped and the chippings will be dispersed onto the ground. Dispersing the material on the ground is recommended for three reasons: it will save the Association money by reducing dump fees, it will help prevent erosion during heavy rains and it will help hold in moisture for plants.
    What can we do to protect your property?
    • Routinely remove plant debris from your roof and gutters.
    • Move combustible material like wood and patio furniture 30 feet from your home.
    • Remove/trim tree branches that touch the ground or your home.
    • Promptly remove dead and dry plant material from trees and shrubs within 30 feet of your home.
    • Trim dense areas of shrubs and trees within 30 feet of your home to create “breaks” in vegetation. Custom lot homeowners, be sure to contact the Association or Mesa Code Compliance before removing vegetation outside your building envelope. 
    • Visit dffm.az.gov or search your online for Firewise USA (TM) for more info.
    • Be Prepared – To learn how to receive emergency notifications from Maricopa County and how to prepare in the event of an evacuation or other emergency visit: https://ein.az.gov/ready-set-go 
    Tell me more about the Department of Corrections Crews
    The crews are made up of about 18 minimum custody, low-risk, non-violent inmates currently serving sentences in Arizona, plus uniformed Department of Corrections and State Forestry personnel who also work as part of the crew. The crew members need to complete rigorous interviews to be a part of the program and maintain very strict mental and physical health requirements. 

    These men and women aren’t simply performing landscape demolition. They are firefighters with advanced training qualifications that equal or exceed those of non-inmate firefighters like Sawyer and Crew Boss and Firefighter Type 1. In addition to performing fuel mitigation efforts in communities like Las Sendas, they also perform suppression efforts during wildfire season, disaster clean-up, and search and rescue assignments.

    The partnership between the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management and the Arizona Department of Corrections helps reduce recidivism rates state-wide by providing opportunities for men and women to learn skills and gain experience that will help them transition back into society after release.  The experience goes beyond vocational, as there are meaningful mental, emotional and relational advantages for those participating in the program. 
  • Are cell towers being installed in Las Sendas?
    The City of Mesa is working with various service providers to install small wireless facilities on top of some of their street light poles within the City Rights of Way. The decision to install these was first decided at the state level, and because they are in the Right of Way, Las Sendas was not a part of the decision making or planning. 
  • How can I learn more about the new playgrounds?
    The time has finally come to remove and replace the play equipment at Sonoran Heights, Trailhead and Grayfox Parks. Demolition of Sonoran Heights' playground equipment began on Sept. 21. We expect the Sonoran Heights playground to be completed in early October; then, Trailhead Parke demolition will begin. Grayfox is scheduled to be completed by mid-November. Take a look at what is coming this fall!